What types of roles do you offer graduates?

We recruit in different areas each year depending on the organisational need of the department and government policy at that time. Past graduates have held the following roles:

  • Assessment Officer
  • Bushfire Risk and Evaluation Officer
  • Climate Science Project Officer
  • Fire Management Project Officer
  • Fire and Ecology Project Officer
  • Forest Policy and Planning Officer
  • Graduate Inspector
  • Native Vegetation Management Officer
  • Natural and Built Resources Officer
  • Public Land Management Officer
  • Sustainable Irrigation and Salinity Project Officer
  • Sustainable Landscapes Project Officer
  • Water Policy Officer

What types of projects do graduates work on?

Past graduates have worked on the following projects:

  • community capacity building
  • salinity, biodiversity
  • business, innovations and communications
  • fire management
  • landcare and community engagement
  • pest plants and animals policy
  • regional compliance work.
  • pest management and research
  • natural resource planning
  • native vegetation

How am I supported during the program?

At your formal induction in February, you will meet and get to know other graduates and start working with supervisors to plan your work plan and program outcomes.

You will also have a coordinating supervisor and a location supervisor, who support and oversee your ongoing development throughout the program. You will also receive a 'Buddy' to help them – usually a second-year graduate who is working in a similar field. You will also be matched with a mentor – usually alumni who completed the program a few years ago.

What types of training are available?

In addition to project and fieldwork, graduates are encouraged to take courses in public speaking, policy development, project evaluation, group leadership and facilitation, and community engagement.

As a graduate, you’ll also receive access to a substantial learning and development budget to tailor your development to your career goals.

Where are graduates based during the program?

As a graduate, you may have some moves to different departmental locations over your two-year program. These locations are regionally and metropolitan based within Victoria, although this depends on your position.

We choose locations that will provide the best opportunities for you to learn, but wherever you go, you'll learn from experts in your field.

Flexible working is now the Victorian Government's default position for the Victorian Public Service. This means every role can have some form of flexibility. Managers and employees will work together to come to an arrangement that meets the needs of the employee, the organisation and the requirements of the role. To learn more, seeWorking flexibly for Victorians - VPSC/.

Are TAFE certificates acceptable?

No, positions offered by the Graduate Program require a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in the field specified in the position description.

Can I complete my degree and work for the Graduate Program?

You must have completed your undergraduate degree before the commencement date of the Graduate Program.

Do I need an Australian qualification?

No. If your degree is from an international university, it should be certified to meet the Australian equivalent before submitting your application.

Overseas qualifications from countries other than Australia or New Zealand need to be assessed for equivalence by DET (Australian Government's Department of Education and Training). The certificate of equivalence (or evidence of undertaking the process) must be provided with your application. For more information visit  International Education - Qualifications Recognition.

Do I need to be an Australian citizen?

You must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or a citizen of New Zealand. The graduate program will not sponsor applicants for immigration to Australia.

I'm a mature age uni graduate, what are the prerequisites of applying?

We encourage applications from graduates of all ages. Applications will be considered provided you have a completed undergraduate degree within the last 5 years, and your Tertiary qualification must be related to a Science or Planning field.

What happens after the 2 years?

DEECA Science Graduates will have an ongoing role with the department upon signing their letter of offer.

Graduates are highly sought for their skills, networks and ability to meet challenges. Toward the end of your two-year program your coordinator and the graduate program management team will meet with you to discuss opportunities after the program.

What happens to information in my application?

The department affirms that the collection and handling of applications and personal information will be consistent with the requirements of the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014.

Page last updated: 09/06/23