Current board vacancies
Major DELWP agencies
Board vacancies for major DEWLP agencies:
- are listed on the Victorian Public Sector Commission's Get on Board website
- in addition may be advertised by other means - e.g. newspapers, social media, below on this page.
Please note that whilst Get on Board has a similar name to DELWP’s On Board it is a completely different website with a different purpose:
- Get on Board is the central government site for advertising board vacancies
- On Board is a part of DELWP’s website. It provides governance guidance to assist board members of DELWP agencies in their role – e.g. guidance notes, model policies and templates.
Small (category 3) committees of management
Vacancies for small (category 3) committees of management of Crown land reserves are usually advertised in local papers and occasionally on Get on Board.
How are board members chosen?
Board vacancies for major DELWP agencies are filled in accordance with the Victorian Government's Appointment and remuneration guidelines.
You will usually be required to submit an Expression of Interest for vacancies on boards of major DELWP agencies.
The principles of merit selection and due process apply.
The agency's establishing Act or terms of reference may have specific requirements in relation to the composition of the board or appointment of members, for example:
The Zoological Parks and Gardens Act 1995 requires the board to be comprised of people who have collective expertise in various fields, including zoology or veterinary science, business management, and education.
Skills and Attributes
Consideration will be given to the candidate's skills and attributes and to the skills mix already present on the board:
Some skills and attributes are important for every board member to possess - e.g. integrity, strategic thinking, ability to contribute constructively as a team member.
Other skills and attributes are important for the board to possess collectively– each board member does not need to have all the skills necessary for the board to function effectively, but the board as a whole does.
Government policy - diversity and gender equity
It is government policy for public sector boards to reflect, where possible, the composition of the Victorian community (e.g. women; Indigenous Australians; people with a disability; people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; and lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, gender diverse and intersex people).
- Gender equity: Overall at least 50% of all future appointments to paid Victorian government boards and all Victorian courts will be women.
- Aboriginal representation on Boards: In this DELWP video (3 ½ mins), Glenys Watts and Graham Atkinson talk about their experiences of being on boards and the challenges and satisfaction of their service, and encourage other Aboriginal people to consider board membership
Personal and professional integrity are vital attributes for a board member. Before a person can be appointed to a board, he or she must give DELWP approval to undertake a police check and related probity checks.
Declaration of Private Interests
When applying for appointment to a board, an applicant must complete a Declaration of Private Interests. This form is a standard requirement for applicants for appointment to the boards of all major public sector agencies in Victoria.
Retention of information provided
Applicants need to be aware that probity checks and other information provided in their application will be:
- stored securely and dealt with in accordance with the Privacy Protection and Data Act 2014
- retained as required by the Public Records Act 1973.
Recommended reading for applicants
Boards of major DELWP agencies
In addition to the information noted in the advertisement, to learn about the role, duties, and standard of conduct that apply to board members of major DELWP agencies please read the following DELWP guidance notes, which are available from the Induction and education support module on DELWP's governance website, On Board (www.delwp.vic.gov.au/onboard).
- Conflict of interest – an overview
- Gifts, benefits and hospitality – an overview
- Code of conduct – an overview
- Board meetings and decisions – an overview
- Basic requirements of good governance
- Summary chart of roles and responsibilities
- Governance resources available from DELWP.
You may also find it useful to look at other resources listed on the Governance guidance page of On Board. There are support modules on a range of key governance topics.
Small (category 3) committees of management
For small (category 3) committees of management vacancies see the Committees of management support module.
Has an information security classification and risk assessment been undertaken for this move?
No. Can you send me a template for this?
Is there any sensitive and/or personal information on the intranet/internet?
Not that I am aware of. What is your definition of sensitive?
Are there any financial transaction conducted through this gateway? If Yes, is Squiz PCIDSS compliant? And has Finance been involved in the implementation?
No. The site links through to sites where financial transactions occur (e.g http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/about-us/doing-business-with-us/pay-bills-online)
Page last updated: 24/11/22