The Victorian Parliament has established independent watchdog agencies to help ensure that the public sector, including DEECA agencies and their board members and employees, acts with integrity, efficiency, and accountability, for example:

Depending on the particular watchdog agency, its role may include:

  • receiving complaints
  • conducting investigations, either in response to a complaint or on its own initiative
  • making reports with findings and recommendations, which may be tabled in Parliament or, in the case of IBAC, be highly secret to protect a whistleblower
  • referring the matter on to be dealt with, for example, by Victoria Police or by DEECA.

Related support module: As your agency’s governing body, the board must act with integrity and foster integrity throughout the organisation. It should have a board policy that is consistent with DEECA’s model Integrity Framework.

The Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC) deals with allegations of corrupt and other ‘improper’ conduct, as defined by law, in the Victorian public sector, including in DEECA agencies.

Public Interest Disclosures

An allegation that a board member, staff member or other person is involved in corrupt or other ‘improper’ conduct in relation to a DEECA agency should be made directly to IBAC.

It is important for your agency to ensure that board members and staff know to immediately advise a potential discloser to redirect their allegation to IBAC.

Making a public interest disclosure:

  • ensures that the identity of the discloser (the ‘whistleblower’) and the nature of the complaint remain confidential
  • gives the discloser legal protection under the Act against reprisals (‘detrimental action’) being taken against them.

Any misdirected disclosures received by DEECA will be referred to IBAC.

Mandatory notifications by CEO (principal officer)

Your agency’s principal officer (CEO by whatever title) must notify IBAC if they suspect that corrupt conduct has occurred or is occurring in the agency, or in relation to the agency, unless exempt under s 57(1) and (1A) of the IBAC Act.

IBAC has produced guidance for principal officers on mandatory reporting, including:

If your agency is subject to the Financial Management Act 1994, there are additional requirements under Standing Direction 3.5.3 to notify the Minister for Finance and the Auditor-General of suspected or actual theft, arson, irregularity or fraud.

The Secretary of DEECA also has an obligation to report suspected corrupt conduct in a DEECA agency to IBAC.

Agency responsibilities

DEECA agencies are required to have in place systems to manage confidentiality, welfare support for disclosers and risk management for Public Interest Disclosures (PIDS) made about their organisation.

Guidance note

The DEECA guidance note on this topic is currently being updated. In the meantime, for further information please see the IBAC website.

The Victorian Ombudsman can investigate complaints about:

  • administrative action taken by state government departments, local government, and most statutory authorities, including DEECA agencies
  • the conduct of public sector board members, executives and staff in undertaking their respective roles.

Prior to making a complaint to the Ombudsman, the aggrieved person should attempt to resolve the matter directly with the DEECA agency.

Most complaints are dealt with informally. In the case of a formal investigation the Ombudsman may report their findings to Parliament. For further information, visit the Ombudsman's website.

The Victorian Auditor General's Office (VAGO) conducts performance and financial audits of public sector agencies, including DEECA agencies. Whilst VAGO does not receive individual complaints, it is part of the integrity framework that helps to ensure the public sector conducts its role with integrity, accountability and efficiency.

The Victorian Auditor-General reports their findings to Parliament. For further information visit the VAGO website.

Complaints can be made to the Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner about possible breaches of the Information Privacy Principles by public sector organisations and local government, including by DEECA agencies.

Prior to making a complaint to the Commissioner, the aggrieved person should attempt to resolve the matter directly with the DEECA agency.

For further information, visit the Commissioner's website. You can also visit DEECA's Privacy support module.

Page last updated: 30/05/23