On this page:
An announcement was made on 23 May 2023 regarding a revised timeline for Victoria’s native timber transition: Delivering Certainty For Timber Workers.
The Forestry Transition Program is assisting the industry to transition from native timber harvesting.
The Victorian Timber Innovation Grants Program provides native timber industry businesses funds to explore, invest and implement new opportunities.
Applications for Round 2 are now closed.
To assist businesses directly affected by the Forestry Transition Program to:
- explore, investigate, and implement business transition opportunities
- undertake capital investment in business transition projects
- diversify and reorientate core business activities to support alternative employment opportunities
- develop and implement downstream manufacturing opportunities using alternative fibre
- invest in new opportunities to process or manufacture plantation timber feedstock and/or alternative fibre.
The Victorian Timber Innovation Grants Program will provide grants up to $1 million.
Grants over $1 million may be considered for projects that create a significant amount of jobs and have local community benefit.
The Victorian Timber Innovation Grants Program requires a co-contribution by the applicant for projects over $250,000. The provision of cash and/or in-kind resources towards the project is in the program guidelines.
Fair Jobs Code
The Victorian Government’s Fair Jobs Code came into effect on 1 December 2022.
The Fair Jobs Code allows the Victorian Government to use its purchasing power to promote secure employment and fair labour standards and to ensure compliance with employment, workplace and industrial laws.
Grants of $500,000 and over (excluding GST) may need to comply with the Code – for more information please visit the Buying for Victoria website.
Who can apply
Businesses that meet the following criteria can apply for a Victorian Timber Innovation Grant:
- hold a current VicForests Timber Sale Agreement, or
- hold a Forest Produce Licence issued by VicForests, or
- are a timber harvest and / or haulage business with a current VicForests contract or agreement, or
- are a harvest and/or haulage sub-contractor to a business with a current VicForests contract and derived at least 70% of annual revenue from the VicForests contract holder in the 2020-21 financial year
- are a seed collector with a contract with VicForests and derived 70% of annual revenue from the VicForests contract in the 2020-21 financial year
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- conduct business operations within Victoria
- meet all the industrial relations obligations as an employer under the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth) National Employment Standards.
Eligible businesses are encouraged to take part in the Forestry Business Transition Voucher Program to support their application.
Sawmill businesses participating in the Opt-Out Scheme can submit an application to the Victorian Timber Innovation Grant.
If successful in the Expression of Interest stage, a Forestry Transition Program representative will email the application form link to the applicant.
Applicants have 90 days from the date of invitation to apply to prepare and submit an application.
Extra documentation to support the project should be attached to the application.
Page last updated: 30/10/23